University of Kansas Data Manager in Lawrence, Kansas
The University of Kansas seeks a Project Data Manager to support the scientific mission of the Kansas Microbiomes of Aquatic, Plant, and Soil Habitats (MAPS) project (MAPS website). This is multi-institutional interdisciplinary research program that spans the state of Kansas. The Data Manager facilitates data sharing and organization within the state-wide project, and works with the project’s investigators to design and deliver data products to long-term open access repositories. Data generated from this project will have temporal, spatial, tabular, and molecular sequencing components. This position will work with students, postdocs, staff and faculty. Expertise in environmental sequencing data, relational databases, or geospatial data are required.
25% - Development of data management system to:
- ingest data from field samples and laboratory experiments;
- maintain relational tables;
- secure and backup data; and
- make data accessible to project investigators. 25% - Data (biogeochemical, environmental sequencing, and geospatial data) and metadata (field and laboratory) management, this may include, but is not limited to troubleshooting data analysis workflow pipelines.
15% - Assist in requisition and maintenance of computer hardware to support the data management system, this may include, but is not limited to troubleshooting hardware and software issues.
15% - Collaborate with and train students, staff and faculty to organize project data.
10% - Assist in maintenance of real-time data collection streaming.
10% - Travel for project meetings within Kansas (may require over-night trip) to present data management elements and assist with quality assurance of data collection.
- High school/GED and 3 years related experience OR Associate’s degree with 2 years related experience OR Bachelor’s degree in field related to discipline.
- Evidence of strong written communication skills as evidenced by application materials.
- Previous experience working with large-scale genomics, spatial, or biogeochemical data
- Experience in software for data
- Previous experience integrating and analyzing multiple types of genomic, spatial and biogeochemical data
- Demonstrated expertise in python, R, C++, SQL, XML, JSON, or similar programming languages
- 3 years expertise post-bachelor’s or a Master’s degree.
- Experience working collaboratively with a team of scientists across multiple institutions.
- Excellent English verbal communication skills.
Contact Information to Applicants
Dr. Terry Loecke: Loecke.email@example.com Dr. Ben Sikes: firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional Candidate Instruction
A complete application consists of the online application, resume, and a cover letter outlining how qualifications are met.
Initial application review begins March 26, 2018. Applications will continue to be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled. To ensure consideration, apply prior to the initial application review date.
Advertised Salary Range: Minimum $49,618.00
Application Review Begins: 26-Mar-2018
Work Location: Lawrence
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Employee Class: U-Unclassified Professional Staff
Conditions of Employment: Contingent on Funding
Job Family: Information Technology-KUL